High Potential Individual Visa UK
The UK invites the best graduates from all over the world, and to achieve this, they have developed a new visa program called the High Potential Individual (HPI) visa. Graduates from all the major non-UK universities who graduated within the last five years are eligible for this visa. No matter your nationality, you are eligible to apply, and a work offer from the UK is not necessary. It’s a fantastic option if you want to consider your options or apply to US universities.
Having a High Potential Individual (HPI) visa enables you to remain in the UK for a minimum of two years. Though, it is essential to note that you must have received a degree from an accepted university within the last five years to apply.
Duration of the visa
Typically, an HPI visa is valid for two years and will be valid for three years if you possess a PhD or another doctorate.
Eligibility for the visa
The qualifications must be equivalent to the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in the UK
- A graduate degree from the UK
- A doctorate from the UK
Candidates must converse fluently with native English speakers at the B1 intermediate level or higher. If you have studied abroad, you’d need to apply through Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) for confirmation that the score is equivalent to the requirements of the UK.
While you can’t prolong your stay with the HPI visa, if you meet the specific criteria, you will be eligible to move to other long-term employment visas, including the Skilled Worker visa.
Unless you have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months, you must demonstrate that you have adequate personal savings to support yourself in the UK.
You can apply without having a job offer.
An HPI visa can be obtained either from within the UK or from outside the UK.
An HPI visa can only be applied for once.
How to apply
- Appear for a scheduled appointment to submit one’s biometrics at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point or a Visa Application Center (outside the UK)
- You will typically receive a verdict on your visa within three weeks if you are based outside the UK
- If you qualify, your partner and children may also seek to join you in the UK and remain there. They will each have to submit a separate application.
What is permitted and prohibited in the HPI Visa
- You can search for work
- You can be self-employed
- You can reside in the UK with your partner and children if they qualify
- You can perform volunteer work.
- You cannot renew this visa and apply for the State Pension or the majority of benefits (public funds).
- Also, you cannot choose to stay in the UK permanently or work as a professional athlete.
Fees for the Visa
You must have enough money when you apply for a High Potential Individual (HPI) visa to:
- You must pay Ecctis £210 (£252 if they are applying from the UK) to qualify verified.
- Pay the application cost of £715.
- Each year you will be in the UK, you must pay the healthcare surcharge, typically £624.
- You will typically need at least £1,270 when you come to the UK to sustain yourself.
- You will learn how much you’ll have to pay for the visa cost when you submit your application.
Documents required for application
- You must pay Ecctis to verify that your qualification is acceptable before applying.
When you submit your application, the following documents must be provided:
- A current passport or another form of identification that demonstrates the nationality
- Evidence of proficiency in English
- Additionally, you must submit the statement Ecctis sends you after verifying your qualifications. The document is an “Academic Qualification Level Statement and English Language Proficiency Statement” if you apply to Ecctis to confirm that your qualification was taught in English. If not, it is referred to as an “Academic Qualification Level Statement.”
After the Application, one can
- Contact UK Visas and Immigration if you need to modify the application after they’ve submitted it (UKVI).
- The application may be cancelled upon request. The fee will only be refunded if UKVI has not yet begun processing the application.
You will receive a letter or email with the outcome of the application. It will be clear from this what you need to do next.
Thus you can take your chance and apply for the HPI Visa, which, if acquired, can allow you to settle in the UK and establish your business there or secure employment.
21K School World
Read our latest education blogs here. We are pioneers in proffering personalised, affordable and high-quality lessons using an advanced learning platform.