Study in the Land of Oz
Think of Australia and images of wild kangaroos, sea beaches, wide roads, and flyovers. Not only for the tourists, but Australia is a hot destination for students in India who flock in thousands to get quality professional and higher education. Among the English-speaking countries, it is the third most sought-after destination behind the United States and the United Kingdom.
The Charm of Australia
The Land of Oz has plenty of options for students of diverse inclinations. It not only hosts eight world-class universities, but several thriving reputed institutes offer short-term professional courses that improve the chances of employability.
So what makes Australia attractive to students? Let’s find out.
- The ambiance for studies and growth that the country promises and delivers is a big draw among students. The friendly atmosphere and good standard of living is a plus point for the young exploring options for studying abroad.
- The Government in Australia is conscious of the universities’ image. It keeps a close watch over the quality of the education imparted and the reputation of the universities. As a result, the institutions have maintained a high standard of education through the years and earned a good reputation.
- Compared with the UK and US, the living expenses and tuition costs are far less. In fact, for discerning parents and students, it means a good value for money. International students are allowed to work 20 hours a week, helping them offset some of the cost of living. There are scholarships, too, for promising students to meet the cost of tuition fees.
- It has a good infrastructure for research, and over the years, certain technological breakthroughs have added to the allure of technology students.
- The emphasis is on practical and independent learning. The students are encouraged to keep their thinking cap on and put through the rigors of problem-solving, debates, and discussions. Undoubtedly, a degree from an Australian university carries much weight with the corporate.
- It also allows a working visa for about three years post the completion of the study. It could, however, vary as per the field of study.
The Group of Eight
The top universities of Australia form the Group of Eight committed to imparting world-class education to students from around the globe. These are all research-focused industries:
1. The University of Melbourne
2. The Australian National University
3. The University of Sydney
4. The University of Queensland
5. The University of Western Australia
6. The University of Adelaide
7. Monash University
8. UNSW Sydney
Seven of the universities are in the world’s top 100 universities. Like each Institution in Ivy League, the Group also enjoys a prestigious status. Unlike Ivy, they are not small universities and have an expansive infrastructure. A 2018 report by London Economics reported that Group of 8 had an annual impact on the Australian economy to the tune of $66.4 Billion.
Besides this, with more than 1100 institutions and 22000 courses to choose from, students can never be disappointed.
How to apply for studying in Australia?
Certain factors have to be kept in mind while applying to universities.
- All the universities offer an online application process
- It makes sense to do thorough research on the courses of the student’s choice and the expenses involved
- An international student needs to have IELTS score ranging from 6-7 to be qualified for admission to Australian universities
- It is always advisable to connect with a creditable consultant to guide students through the application process
- Evaluate the application beforehand and then start filling the application
- Be ready with the documents and try applying the deadline
- As soon as students get the nod from the university, apply for a student visa
The Helping Hand
It is not strange for international students to feel out of place initially and feel dejected and lonely in a different country. Realizing this, universities have designed an array of support services at every level to make the students feel at home as soon as possible. These range from pre-arrival support services to campus support services. They organize various orientation programs, workshops, and cultural events to familiarize the students with the new environment. Besides, there are hosts of student associations to help international students navigate their everyday problems.
Australia, no doubt, has a lot to offer. It depends on the students to make the best use of it.
21K School World
Read our latest education blogs here. We are pioneers in proffering personalised, affordable and high-quality lessons using an advanced learning platform.
Join Asia’s Leading Online School and Unlock
Leading Online School
and Unlock endless opportunities
You may also want to read
20 Most Ethnically Diverse Universities in the WorldUniversity Admissions
21K School · Dec 9, 2023 · 3 min read
Know more about the cost of staying in BelgiumUniversity Admissions
21K School · Dec 9, 2023 · 4 min read